glossary of Terms
An independent school funded directly by central government. Since an
Academy is not maintained by a local authority, it is free from local authority control, monitoring, support and intervention.
- Academy Conversion Legal Costs
The costs of legal advice and the provision of documents necessary to establish an Academy.
- The Blessed Edward Bamber Catholic Multi Academy Trust (BEBCMAT)
A group of Catholic Schools within Blackpool
- Board of Directors
A body responsible for all of the academies in a trust. The majority of the directors in the BEBCMAT will be appointed by the Bishop of Lancaster.
Apart from key statutes such as the Companies Act and the Academies Act 2010 a Multi Academy Company is governed by its Articles of Association as a company and by the contracts it enters into and is run in accordance with company/contract law.
- Local Academy Board/GoverningPart of the governance and leadership structure of the MAT. The full Bodies scope and role are yet to be determined.
- Multi Academy Trust (MAT)
A company formed to run two or more academies (schools).
- National College for School Leadership (NCSL)
An executive agency of the Department for Education.
- School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD)
The statutory pay and conditions document STPCD will be retained by the Trust (BEBCMAT).
A relationship, in this instance, between a family of Catholic Schools in which ‘trustees’ are legally responsible for holding assets. The assets – such as land, money or buildings – are placed in trust for the benefit of each school and all the schools.