A healthy, happy staff means that we can:
- Improve staff morale and performance
- Retain high-quality staff
- Reduce sickness absence and staff cover
- Ensure good return to work practices
- Attract well-qualified and talented staff through increased reputation
- Ensure a better environment for our pupils to learn and succeed.
We want our staff to:
- Enjoy working in a safe, supportive environment and culture
- Be aware of mental health and well-being issues and how to seek support for themselves and others
- Help us to reduce the stigma around stress and anxiety in the workplace
- Feel supported during times of personal or work stress
- Maintain a healthy life-work balance
- Feel confident to talk to colleagues and/or managers
- Have positive and healthy professional relationships at work.
In order to achieve these outcomes BEBCMAT will be committed to:
- Promoting and disseminating good practice in well-being throughout the academies
- Providing high-quality personal and professional development opportunities for all staff
- Supporting staff who are experiencing mental health problems
- Offer support to each academy to develop their Well-being Strategy.
To ensure the engagement of Health & Well-being throughout the whole of BEBCMAT is consistent, each academy will:
- Allow staff opportunities and time to attend training and courses
- Promote information about and access to supportive services
- Celebrate success
- Share good practice
- Encourage healthy life style choices
- Encourage all staff to have open communication with the Senior Leadership Team
- Encourage all staff to engage in Health & Well-being.
A meaningful and successful Health & Well-being provision involves the engagement of all employees, therefore it is the aim of BEBCMAT that each individual will:
- Be a positive role model
- Promote healthy life style choices during the school day
- Be responsible for actively seeking support if it is needed, professionally or personally
- Participate in personal and professional development opportunities, strategies and training.
Well-being is about our physical, mental and emotional health. The emphasis is on achieving balance – when we feel good across these areas our well-being is good. We can think about this in terms of scales with your well-being at the centre. Good well-being is achieved when there is a balance between the resources you have available and the challenges you face. When your challenges outweigh the resources you have, things can become off balance.